Tuesday 26 March 2013

✰ DIY Peppermint Facial Steam ✰

So as you may know, I've been having some problems with my skin lately (STILL I can't find out what caused it!) and throughout this ordeal of trying to clear it up again, I have managed to discover what works and what doesn't... it may be different for you however! 

One of my favourite things to do is a facial steam. If you've ever been in a sauna or steam room or anything like that, you may have noticed that your skin looks lovely when you come out!! This is because...
  • The heat from the steam opens up your pores, allowing impurities to escape and absorb goodness.
  • All's steam is is water (pointing out the obvious you're welcome) so it's incredibly hydrating. And because your pores are open and fresh, it takes in so so so much more hydration. 
So I decided I'd share with you how I do it, and a few things you can do to make it a little bit more exciting. 

  1. Do your usual skincare routine but without moisturizing, eg. exfoliate, cleanse, tone... then that's it.
  2. Grab a pan of boiling water that you will easily be able to fit your face over, with room to spare ;) You can boil the water in the pan, but it's so much quicker in a kettle.
  3. Tie your hair back and just put your face right over the steam. 
  4. Make like a tent fortress going around your head to stop the steam from escaping!! It doesn't really work at all without the towel. At this point it will feel very stuffy and almost like you can't breathe, but you get used to it after a couple of minutes. 
  5. Stay in there until it begins cooling down or there's just no steam any more. I'm usually in there for about 10-15 minutes before I begin to feel like I'm suffocating/melting/just bored or it goes cold. 
  6. As soon as you're done, moisturize! Dermatologists recommend to moisturize within two minutes after stepping out of the bath/shower, so apply the same rules to steaming. I also like to apply any treatment gels at this point too, while my pores are still open! (For a great, cheap acne and blemish treatment gel see here). 
I like to put some music on in the background and sing along as I'm always singing... at least then I'll have an excuse. 

If you like, you can add a few little things into the steam for a power boost ;) Tea bags are really simple! I wouldn't go for earle grey or English Breakfast tea... Green Tea and Peppermint Tea are wonderful! Peppermint is great for acne while Green Tea is an all rounder really. Just pop the tea bag in once the pan is full and do it like normal! 

Every time I do this, somebody always notices that my skin looks nice, which is lovely! 

Thanks for reading! What's your favourite skin treat? xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I am totally going to try this with the peppermint tea bag soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always do this, i love the way it makes your skin feel!:)

    http://laurenlovesmakeupxoxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog ! Would you like to follow each other ?

    ReplyDelete